Sunday, May 3, 2009

Greener Grass

While in my garden today I was listening to the many sounds around the neighborhood. Dogs barking, my neighbor happily whistling while he moved mulch and the many lawnmowers humming as the newly green grass got its first cut of the season. I got me thinking about a comparison I recently saw between a convenient and inconvenient lifestyle.

The convenient lifestyle relied on the more obvious choices such as taking the elevator, parking in the closest spot and using the remote. Some additional conveniences I hadn't thought about before included using a cordless phone, frequenting drive-throughs, using the internet to shop and hiring lawn and house cleaning services. While it may not seem like much, walking to answer the phone and then standing while talking; or getting up to change the television settings can add up to more calories burned each day. In the study cited the total effect of living an inconvenient life for a month was about 10,000 extra calories burned, enough for a 2 -3 pound weight loss.

In these difficult economic times mowing your lawn, washing your car and cleaning your house are jobs that cannot be easily expensed out to someone else. Isn't it nice to know that it may also help you improve your health?

No comments:

Post a Comment