Friday, May 1, 2009

The Elephant in the Room

While I refer to the metaphorical elephant, the obvious problem that everyone is trying to overlook; it is not a totally inappropriate image. As someone who cares about my health and tries to follow a healthy lifestyle combining good nutrition and daily exercise, how do I overlook the lifestyles of others. As a wellness coach and health educator I am happy to share ideas and problem solve with those who seek my help. My difficulty comes in my interactions with friends and family. How do I discuss their weight or unhealthy behaviors? Is it any of my business? Should I just keep quiet and look the other way?

With friends and extended family my strategy has been to be a role model and resource but otherwise not offer unsolicited advice. Whether it is asking to eat in a restaurant with healthier food options or scheduling a get together after I exercise, I don't preach but I also don't get dragged into doing things that I know I will regret.


I also try to be open with my friends and family about the motivations for my lifestyle choices as well as the difficulties in maintaining that lifestyle. It is important for those looking at making changes to know that everyone has off days. The key is in not letting an off day become an off week followed by an off month. As I have posted here, some days the fear of my family's history of high blood pressure related kidney failure gets me out for my run, while on other days it is my desire to drop those last 5 pounds. They are all valid reasons and anyone considering making major lifestyle changes will have their own reasons. In fact the more reasons the better because what motivates one day might not the next.

If and when the subject of weight and exercise come up, I try to be understanding and honest with friends and family about the risks that their choices create. While not telling someone what to do, I try to encourage and support anyone in making changes. Whether it is meeting them at the gym so the weight room seems a little less intimidating or offering to share recipes, I hope that by doing and not just talking I will improve not only my own health but the health of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment