Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bringing Resolutions into Action

Resolutions are great, but without a doable plan of action they are at best just great ideas or at worst a tattered wish list posted on the fridge. So what can we do to turn aspirations into actions? We need to be SMART.

The concept of SMART goals has been around for quite some time. The acronym stands for Specific, Measurable, Action, Realistic and Time sensitive. Smart goal setting can allow forward progress when a resolution is starting to look like just a great daydream.

One of my goals this year is to get all my digital stuff together. So how do I turn this resolution into an action plan?

Specific: First I need to decide what I exactly want to do. Since I have photos and music spread between multiple computers my resolution becomes "move all digital files onto one computer and one back up device".

Measurable: This is pretty clear. One computer and one portable hard drive. All music and photo files.

Action: I have broken my goal into smaller steps that will make it easier to get done including -buy a back up device, -spend one hour 2-3 times a week moving and sorting through files, -back final files up on portable hard drive.

Realistic: The usual criteria here is to set a goal that you feel has at least a 70% chance of successful completion. So, yeah, I can do this.

Time sensitive: This has two parts. The first is figuring out and setting aside the time needed to do the actions your goal entails and the second, if needed, is setting a time for completion. I plan to spend 1-2 hours a week on my digital organization project and will shoot for a finish date of the end of March. That may seem like a lot of time but we are talking about thousands of photos and songs. If the time involved becomes overwhelming I could always split my goal in half and just focus on organizing the photos or the music.

Now you maybe thinking "what does this have to do with me? My stuff is perfectly organized". Well SMART goals can be used to translate any goal or resolution into an action plan. Eat healthier can become eat a piece of fruit in the afternoon and snack on cut up vegetables while cooking dinner. Get more exercise can become walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday and take an hour spin class on Sunday morning.

Studies have reported that 25% of New Year's resolutions are broken in the first week. So as we head into 2012's third week think back to those resolutions and turn them into action plans. What have you got to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment