Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Stealth Holiday Season

To date entries on this blog have reflected my thoughts and opinions regarding what I am reading, studying or thinking about. They have not been about me. Granted what I think or read does reflect me to some degree, I have found that I often don't post entries because I don't have the energy to polish something up to present.

I have decided to change it up by posting more of my own struggles to maintain my health and achieve some sense of balance in my life, rather than the theory of how it should work. Theory is good but it is practice that gets us where we want to go.

I have not posted for almost a month. During that time my daughter has returned from her first year of college and there have been numerous family and other social events. I think that May-June is a sort of stealth version of Thanksgiving to New Years. Although there are no big holidays, there are innumerable opportunities to eat and socialize. Between graduations, weddings, anniversaries and just general thank God winter is over celebrations, it is hard to stay on track with an exercise plan and healthy eating. The lone spring holiday, Memorial Day, is an opportunity for food even if the "first" picnic requires a fleece vest for comfort.

I feel as though I have not been regularly exercising and definitely not eating well for over a month. I haven't had so many baked goods since Christmas. And my mood hasn't been this low in a long time. On looking back at my training calendar I was surprised to see what a clear connection there was. So today I got out there for a run, and yesterday I worked hard in spin class. My outlook is better and I feel like I am back on the right road if not actually moving forward. Thank goodness for new days.

No comments:

Post a Comment